POSITION SUMMARY: Provides high-level expertise in analyzing, testing, and formulation of new products and requirements. Responsibilities may include serving as the day-to-day leader for a few small projects, serving as the primary liaison with internal and external customers on daily technical questions and concerns, and has independently worked on commercializing several products. The Senior Chemist is distinguished from the Chemist II by leading projects, having an expert knowledge of several product lines, applications, and markets, and having experience in all types of formulation. May supervise support level technicians on a day-to-day basis.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Serves as a lead to staff to include assigning and monitoring work and providing direction.
· Serves as an expert in analyzing, testing, and developing new or updated formulas that require comprehensive understanding of chemistry, product lines, and materials; leads small project teams and determines quality standards.
· Develops and adjusts the product formulas and coding, reads and interprets patents, and determines how to improve or utilize technology to develop product lines.
· Applies comprehensive knowledge of business group operations and application methods to assist with implementing project objectives, product systems, budgets, timelines, and other requirements.
· Serves as a team member to provide technical assistance to the product development, quality control, manufacturing processes, and other operations.
· Reviews and develops reports and documents detailing project processes, results, and conclusions; leads or performs additional research when required.
· Interprets and applies department policies and procedures and applicable laws, rules, and regulations; ensures compliance with these areas.
· Serves and the primary contact and responds to highly technical and complex questions and concerns from plants, research professionals, quality control, customers and other internal and external parties regarding development, application, quality assurance, and related programs and services.
· Operates, cleans, and calibrates all forms of equipment that requires professional judgment and background; also utilizes technical or standard equipment during the course of projects.
· May supervise or serve as a lead to lower level technicians or support personnel performing research projects. Performs other duties as assigned.
Eight years of industrial chemistry experience, including four years of experience within the paint and/or coatings industry or equivalent experience.
Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or equivalent education and experience. Widespread technical experience is required for this level without a degree.
· Prioritizing and assigning work;
· Applying comprehensive professional chemistry principles and practices;
· Performing highly technical formulation tasks;
· Applying comprehensive application methods and procedures;
· Interpreting and applying department policies and procedures and applicable laws, rules, and regulations;
· Solving technical problems and recommending solutions;
· Developing quality standards;
· Interpreting data and developing reports;
· Prioritizing projects;
· Understanding patents;
· Utilizing basic project management concepts;
· Applying commercialization principles and practices;
· Providing and communicating technical information;
· PC skills; Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook); and other applicable applications;
· Communicating with co-workers to provide and receive direction.
Incumbents may be subjected to moving mechanical parts, electrical currents, vibrations, fumes, odors, dusts, gases, chemicals, oils, and other conditions found in laboratory environments.
Positions in this class typically require: reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, typing, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
· Minimum Degree in Chemistry
· Minimum 5-8 years’ experience of Industrial Chemistry experience, including the experience within the PAINTS and / or COATINGS industry or experience in UV.
· Salary around RM5000-7000 (negotiable)
· Chinese Male / Female candidates only
· Computer knowledge ie Microsoft office
· Performing highly technical formulations task
· Based in Klang
· Permanent position